For several years an informal group of African Association Executives had gathered during Meetings Africa, under the auspices of the South African National Convention Bureau (SANCB), and talked about the need and desire to connect themselves and build an infrastructure to enable them to stay connected throughout the year.
At Meetings Africa 2015 the topic was brought forward during Association Day to create the African Society of Association Executives (AfSAE). The group present enthusiastically agreed and formed an “Establishment Committee” made up of the following individuals:
The AFSAE Establishment Committee
- Jeffers Miruka, African Association of Agricultural Economists, Kenya
- Olubunmi Owoso, Commonwealth Association of Polytechnics in Africa, Kenya
- Ibrahim Bangura, African Bodybuilding & Physique Sports Federation, Sierra Leone
- Diran Onifade, African Federation of Science Journalists, Nigeria
- Peninnah Kabenge Aligawesa, Federation of Africa University Sports, Uganda
- Chidorum Nwakanma, International Associations of Business Communicators, Nigeria
- George Sunguh, Port Management Association for Eastern and Southern Africa, Kenya
- Musa Mabandla, South African Neuroscience Society, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Brian Ssennoga, The Free Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa, Ghana
- Kelvin Esiasa, Zambian Society for Public Administration, Zambia
- Victoria Lugey, Union of the Catholic African Press, Ghana
- Samuel Nii Ardey Codjoe, Union for African Population Studies, Ghana
- Natalie Kensley, The Conference Company, Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Gregg Talley, Talley Management Group, Inc., USA
- Gary Grimmer, Gaining Edge, Australia
The role of the Establishment Committee was to explore the possibility and options around the incorporation, formation, and management of an AfSAE. The Establishment Committee empowered an Executive Group to work through these issues and report back.
The Executive Group:
|1. Jeffers Miruka||African Association of Agricultural Economists||President|
|2. Ibrahim Bangura||African Bodybuilding & Physique Sports Federation||Secretary|
|3. Peninnah Kabenge||Federation of Africa University Sports||Treasurer|
|4. Chidorum Nwakanma||International Associations of Business Communicators||Member|
|5. Kelvin Esiasa*||Zambian Society for Public Administration||Member|
|6. Brian Ssennoga||The Free Software and Open Source Foundation for Africa||Member|
|7. Diran Onifade||African Federation of Science Journalists||Member|
*Kelvin has since passed on
The group met by conference call and in-person throughout 2015 and reported back to the full Establishment Committee. The conclusion was to formally incorporate in South Africa and launch at the 2016 Meetings, Africa. The Memorandum of Incorporation is available on the Members Only section of the website.
At Meetings Africa the Establishment Committee was disbanded and the first Board of Directors was voted into place as a slate by the Association Executives present. Elections and rotation of the Board will commence immediately per the By-Laws.